Saturday 1 February 2014

Beginners Luck

HAPPY FEBRUARY!
 I just want to start off by saying that what matters is the type of person you are, no amount of makeup can change you're personality and you don't need to do it to impress others. True friends will love you for who you are. I think until your are at least 13 makeup is pointless really, but it's whatever makes you comfortable.

I think over the last 2 years I have felt very lost when it comes to makeup. I felt that I had no idea where to start or what I needed. After watching and reading many blogs, vlogs and tutorials I have finally got to grips with it. I hope this helps anyone else that felt as stuck as I did.

Starters:
>Primer
>Foundation/Base 
>Concealer 
>Blusher/Bronzer 
>Powder 
> Mascara 
>Lipstick
>Eye shadow
>Brushes and blending sponge(make sure to wash every week or every 3 uses)
 
 
So...if you have clear skin, accept for a few spots and blemishes, you DO NOT need a full blown foundation, My suggestion would be to purchase a Tinted Moisturiser or BB Cream, this gives a light moisturising coverage without clogging up your skin. I would suggest Garnier or No7. Also a bit of concealer goes a long way.  I have found that the Rimmel London Wake Me Up foundation is the best, it gives brilliant coverage and is not too expensive. I also add the True Matte Perfection Mouse Foundation in my oily t-zone as it helps to keep it under control. 

Displaying image.jpeg

In my experience powder blush is better than cream blush as I have combination to oily skin. However if you struggle with dry skin, cream blusher is perfect! 
Corals and darker pinks are best in summer and lighter pinks in winter to give a natural glow. 
I find that a small bit of bronzer goes a long way as you do not want streaks on your cheeks and to just define your cheekbones you want it to be natural. I have only tried the MUA mosaic bronzer as it was only a few pounds however I am definitely keen to try the Sleek blusher and contour kit. 
Displaying image.jpeg
Displaying image.jpeg

I find that pressed powder, when over foundation, sticks in areas and I will only wear it as a light cover in summer. 
However I like to set my makeup with lose translucent powder over the top and the rest of the time just to stop shine and to make sure it stays a little more. This is just to help the primer set. If you have oily skin I would definitely recommend it as I have found it a godsend, also if you are prone to shine you may as well give it a go. 
Displaying image.jpegDisplaying image.jpeg

When it comes to lipstick you do not need a lot of them-not that that has stopped me. 
If you have dry lips then obviously a moisturising balm lipstick is the way to go and maybe just stick to actual lip balms for a while. If not a matte look is always classy for a day out. I find they tend to last longer too. Corals and bright pinks and reds (much like blusher) are great for summer and darker reds and plums work well during the winter.
 Displaying image.jpeg
Displaying image.jpeg

A neutral eye shadow palette is not essential but is always nice to have for an extra smoky eye. Personally, I'm not very adventurous with eye shadows and just stick with simple (and cheap) combinations. Isabelle got me a super cute eye shadow palette for my birthday from H&M and I'm very impressed! 
Displaying image.jpeg
Displaying image.jpeg
I do believe, however, that mascara is as essential as it gets. Without it I literally look like I'm from The Walking Dead. It opens up your eyes and makes them pop. If you want a natural look then I suggest a brown but if not then you can stick to black (or super black is you think it makes a difference). Mascara can be expensive. This is true across the board. I have tried most high-street brands and although they good they are not true to all their promises. I have found however that the MUA mascaras are much better and are only £2 or £3 which is insane value for money! 
Displaying image.jpegDisplaying image.jpeg
When it comes to brushes I do not know much. I was given a Fraulin*38 set for Christmas a few years ago and they do the job. For a starter they are perfect. I do use the Primark powder brush for blusher, it has a really nice feel and is really easy to apply. There are obvious recommendations for brushes like MAC and Tom Ford but they are much more expensive. The best blending sponge is by far the Real Techniques Miracle  Complexion Sponge. It honestly does live up to the hype. 
For the basics I think all you need is a powder brush, blush brush, contour brush for bronzer, blending eye shadow brush and a blending sponge to stop steaks and patchy foundation. All depending on what you use and how often you use it, this will determine how much you are willing to pay but, as with everything, the pricier ones are of better quality.
Displaying image.jpegDisplaying image.jpeg

I hope this has helped you to find cheaper alternatives for the basics. If you have any other substitutes please let us know in the comments. We all love a good bargain! 
Toodle-oo
Izzy
REMEMBER: You are beautiful just as you are, makeup is supposed to enhance your features NOT cover them up :)


  

No comments:

Post a Comment